A few years ago, someone showed me how to embed a timer in a Google Slide presentation. This has become a staple in my classroom. I embed a YouTube Video in the corner of the objective slide when I know that I want a visible countdown.
- Students like to know when an activity should be finished.
- Students who might finish early have a tendency to continue working/exploring when the timer is on the screen.
- It helps me keep track and not miss my transitions.
Here is my process.
1. Create a slide presentation.
2. Add content.
3. Choose the slide that will display the timer. (Typically for me, this is my objectives for the activity.)
4. Open the "Insert Menu" and click on Video.
5. If you have preselected a YouTube countdown timer, you can paste the url. I typically just enter the terms countdown timer and the length of time.
6. Highlight the one you want and click "Select".
7. Resize and Drag to an open location on the slide and you are ready to go.
8. When you want to start the timer, just click on the play button. You are ready to go.
You can put in any length of a timer and then drag it to the start time you desire if you are using different countdowns during a class.
Click here to see the timer in action.